…that 15 years of grueling conventional K-12 education is useless.
From Morehead State University:
GENERAL EDUCATION FOCUS GROUP – FACULTY SESSION, 2/8/08
What is the purpose of general education as part of the undergraduate experience?
- To prepare someone to be an educated citizen, capable of participating in a democratic society
- To prepare person to be equipped to be a life-time learner
- Educated person
- Need to differentiate higher education personnel from other education personnel (high schools)
- Being capable to taking leadership roles in society
- Ensuring students be broadly rather than narrowly educated.
- Guiding students to take courses that they may not otherwise take or think of taking
- Undergraduate experience vs. General Education. Suggest commonality
- Balance general vs. particular. How to include practical skill level/involvement so that students are actively doing something rather than just discussing
- To engage student in what it means to be human and how we relate to the world around us. Rationale thinking, compassion – measurable outcome
- To create opportunity for self exploration and self-discovery in purely practical ways
- Prepare individual to be employable and to be successful in college
- Opportunities for self
- Work ethic
- Sense of responsibility
- More exposure to all subjects to have broad base in order to make more informed decisions in career choices
- Learn to differentiate in career/technical learning
- Self directed problem-solving vs. force fed
- General Education is NOT about generating credit hours for other departments
- Courses designed for checkpoints, in order to determine success.
- Use as gates/filters/checkpoints for other classes
- Planting a seed – foundation that needs to be practiced as student progresses.